Your Writing Deserves Your Undivided Attention
You used to love writing, but your life has gotten so busy that your writing has taken a backseat to emails, meetings, and other people’s demands.
You still write now and then, but it is more of a requirement – it doesn’t feed you like it did in the past. You’d love to have some quiet, uninterrupted time in a relaxing environment to get back in touch with your creativity and passion for writing. You know it’s still in there.
Or perhaps you’ve always dreamed of becoming a writer, but the thought of taking your informal writing to a wider audience seems impossible.
You see all the books on your shelf and successful blogs and articles on your screen but you have no idea where to start, and you’ve lacked the support necessary to take the leap to becoming a published author.
Or maybe you’re already in the groove and simply need a large chunk of time free from distractions to finish a big project – your dissertation, book, website – whatever it is you’re working on.
If this describes you at all, you are invited to join us, Dr. Sean Davis and Dr. Jason Platt, on a writing retreat!
By the end of the retreat you’ll have reconnected with your passion for writing, gotten clarity and direction for your project and received the knowledge and support you need. You’ll have also permanently joined a caring and committed community of writers, and, in many cases, have something ready to send to the publisher. All this while weaving in plenty of relaxation and fresh Mexican cuisine as well!
Our writing retreats are in the beautiful town of Malinalco, Mexico. The five-day trip will include:
- Welcome dinner in Mexico City
- Large blocks of uninterrupted writing time
- Group and individual coaching sessions as desired
- Farewell celebration dinner
- Continual support after the retreat via a private Facebook group
What if I want to come on the trip, but am not sure I want to write?
Come anyway! You won’t be alone. We’ve taken so many people here that word has gotten out, and each trip usually has a few people just wanting to unplug and recenter. We’re not going to get after you for not writing. It’s your trip.
What makes our writing retreats unique?
Few have both the “writing” and “retreat” experience that we do.
Between us we have co-authored six widely-read books and dozens of peer-reviewed journal articles and book chapters, including several which have won the prestigious “Best Article of the Year” award from the Journal of Marital and Family Therapy, our field’s top academic journal.
On the “retreat” end, we have taken hundreds of clinicians on highly popular immersion trips in places such as Mexico, Belize, India, Cuba, El Salvador, Italy, Cambodia, Vietnam and others, with more each year.
Each of us has over a decade of experience as core faculty in the Couple and Family Therapy (Dr. Davis) and International Counseling Psychology (Dr. Platt) programs at Alliant International University where we have earned reputations as award-winning scholars, authors and educators.
Here’s what others have said
On our last trip, writers completed one book and started writing two others, wrote several journal articles that ended up being published in top-tier academic journals, and most importantly reconnected with their passion for writing.
What To Expect
Day 3 & 4
Malinalco is considered to be the location of one of three main points of energy in Mexico. Malinalco’s energy in particular is linked to a creative feminine energy. Even the cynical among the group will acknowledge that is has a “vibe” unlike anywhere else. Last year’s participants couldn’t stop commenting about this!
You will have the option to participate in a temezcal, an ancient ceremony designed to overcome emotional blocks and release creative energy (They’re similar to a sweat lodge).
You may want to know if it is safe. In a word, yes! Jason has lived in Mexico City for well over a decade, and between us we’ve taken hundreds of students to Mexico City and Malinalco dozens of times with no significant incidents. We’ll be with you as much as you would like.
Check out the video above. Last year a few of us were writing an article under the pavilion in the Malinalco town center when it started to rain. A bunch of merchants packed up and joined us, and a few of them started to dance. Ten minutes later the rain stopped and everyone went back to business as usual.
If that’s your idea of a good time, you’re our kind of person.
Welcome to Malinalco!
Registration and Other Information:
- The date of the location is TBD. Please let us know if you’d like to attend and we’ll add you to the waiting list.
- You will fly into Mexico City on a Thursday and depart from Mexico City on a Monday. THe majority of the time will be spend in Malinalco.
- The program fee is $650 and includes welcome and farewell dinners, all travel between Malinalco and Mexico City, group and individual writing consultation sessions with Dr. Davis or Dr. Platt, and a 2-hour healing ceremony led by a local healer.
- To allow for individual flexibility and preferences, the program fee does not include airfare, lodging and meals in Malinalco.
- A $100 deposit will be required to reserve your spot.
- To request a detailed itinerary, or ask any questions please email Dr. Davis and Dr. Platt at email@example.com.
- If you’re ready to take the leap, click below to register and we’ll see you in Malinalco!