Malinalco, Mexico Writing Retreat
September 6th-10th, 2018
What it is
Are you looking for an experience and a community where you can energize your creative writing efforts? Whether you are working on your thesis, dissertation, book chapter, article or some other project, we want to invite you to join our community of writers for a retreat in Malinalco. The focus of this trip is to provide you with the quiet space and professional support you need to take your writing project to the next level.
We each love writing and have experienced the power of writing retreats for our own projects in the past. Several of our colleagues have asked us to host such a retreat over the years, and we're excited to be doing just that! Our focus is on helping professionals in the mental health fields get their writing projects off the ground.
The four-day trip will include:
- Welcome dinner in Mexico City
- Group sessions as desired
- Individual consultation sessions with Dr. Davis and Dr. Platt as desired
- Daily group support and accountability meetings as desired
- Private lodging in Malinalco, a quiet, peaceful village regarded as one of the spiritual centers of Mexico
- Optional participation in a temezcal (sweat lodge) led by a local healer
- Farewell celebration dinner
Malinalco is considered to be the location of one of three main points of energy in Mexico. Malinalco’s energy in particular is linked to a creative feminine energy. We will arrive following the same route taken by ancient warriors, by way of Chalma, who came to Malinalco to engage in important spiritual work. Malinalco is known to have a unique energy unlike anywhere else. We cannot think of a better context for us to help others reconnect with their creativity!
Registration and other information:
- Participants will fly into Mexico City on Thursday, September 6th and depart from Mexico City on Monday, September 10th. Departures should be scheduled after 1:00pm.
- The fee for the retreat is $650 and will include a welcome dinner, all travel between Malinalco and Mexico City, group and individual sessions aimed at supporting your writing goals, two ceremonies led by a local healer, and a farewell celebration dinner. Airfare, lodging and meals in Malinalco will not be covered to allow for individual flexibility, though hotel and restaurant recommendations will be provided.
- A $100 non-refundable deposit will be required to reserve your spot by June 1st, 2018
- Reservations made before May 1st 2018 will receive a $50 discount
- To make reservations, request a detailed itinerary, or ask any questions please email Dr. Davis and Dr. Platt by clicking the "register here" button below. Registration and questions are handled via email.
About the Hosts
The trip will be hosted by us, Dr. Sean Davis and Dr. Jason Platt. Between us we have published six widely-read books and dozens of peer-reviewed journal articles, including several which have won the "Best Article of the Year" award from the Journal of Marital and Family Therapy, the MFT field's top academic journal. We have taken hundreds of clinicians on highly popular immersion trips in places such as Mexico, Belize, India, Cuba, El Salvador, Italy, Cambodia and others. Each of us have over a decade of experience as faculty in the Couple and Family Therapy (Dr. Davis) and International Counseling Psychology (Dr. Platt) programs at Alliant International University where we have earned reputations as award-winning scholars, authors and educators.